Monday, September 26, 2005

After Rita, Back to Work...

I'm back in the office today after an exciting, but pretty uneventful weekend of Hurricane Rita in Houston (for me). I was lucky enough not to even lose power. I understand that was not the norm. Lots of people did not have power on Saturday. But, as I like to joke, "I have the powahhhh!" lol

I'm so spoiled; all I had to complain about was having accidentally bought sugar free creamer for my coffee, which I hate. I'm a natural sugar girl, and that sugar free stuff tastes horrible, but isn't that crazy? What a thing to complain about when I was on my computer in the safety of my own home with water, ice and air conditioning all weekend. Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude. Others were complaining about having to water their lawns after a hurricane. That's just not right, not to even get enough rain to drench the plants, but the alternative is so much darker and less appealing. Still others begged for cooler temperatures after the wind blew through, but no, it's hot as H Houston again. It's going to be 96F degrees today (Norfolk, that's 35C). Way too hot for the end of September. But again, gratitude for what didn't happen.

I've been setting up computers and printers and fax machines so our temp people can get paid for the work they did last week. And although I want to be of service to them in that way, what a hassle for my semi-tech brain. I have to stretch my knowledge of tech stuff and spend time on the phone with troubleshooters etc. It's not my favorite thing to do, but hey, I'm one of four people in the office, so I'm doing my share of whatever I can to get us back to normal. I'm not sure back to normal is a possibility after this experience. I think normal is so far from what it was that everyone has changed.

Life goes on, and those who had it bad are picking up the pieces, and we who were spared the brunt of the storm are returning to our lives. Although it was great not to have traffic this morning, I have great empathy and sympathy for the many people who cannot get back because they don't have gasoline to sit in long lines returning. I am soooooo glad I didn't leave town. I cannot be grateful enough for that piece of insight and guidance.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who kept me company while I was "riding the big waves" of energy and holding a vision and purpose here in the Bayou City of Houston, Texas. It was truly an exercise for me in faith and trust of my guidance. And, I held the lives of several other families in my hands when they asked me whether to go or stay, and they lived down south at Clear Lake on the edge of the water. But the message was the same, that if they decided to stay, they would be safe. It's a difficult responsibility to say those words and feel confident that it's true when there is a category 5 hurricane sitting in the Gulf moving in your direction. Because what if? I could not even feel the what if in me. I had a huge wave of knowing that we were safe. Against all the weather technology and all the forecasts, Spirit came through and delivered on its promise to me and all who asked.

What a weekend. Life changing. My friend Sue says we all had a near-death experience because we didn't know for sure if we'd survive, and each of us who stayed were acknowledging we were willing to take that chance, and we did. And we dodged the bullet.

Thanks again for the company and the support and love I felt from all of you.

---sandy@writingmuse.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home