Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hurricane Preps

Today is the autumnal equinox, and I am in Houston, Texas preparing for Hurricane Rita to hit the Gulf Coast. I decided to blog the ride in case anything happens to me, at least this journal will be here to document it as long as possible.

I started today at Onion Creek, my favorite coffee shop in the Heights on White Oak Blvd. (Close to White Oak Bayou, a potential flood hazard in a hurricane.) It was closed, but the regulars were there helping board it up so we'll have it back when this is done. They had free coffee for us, and it was great comraderie. Everyone seemed resigned to sticking around, especially since the exit routes are horrible right now.

Yesterday, at work, we unhooked all our computers and put them in interior offices and closed the doors. We forwarded our phones to our Dallas office, and shut down until at least Monday, depending on what happens here. We have lots of huge windows in the building, and a beautiful view, but not a good thing in a hurricane, especially if it's a big one.

It was a huge panic everywhere. I went out at lunchtime to get water from Whole Foods because all the grocery stores were out of every kind of water and ice. I was lucky to find water, and the group mind was so out of control and panicked. For some reason, I'm very calm and know that I need to stay here. I'm not sure what I will have to experience, but I'll share it as long as I have a computer.

I still feel the path of the hurricane can change at any time and head south where it belongs, in the dry parched lower Texas and Northern Mexico lands. But, hey, a girl can dream.

I went out yesterday to buy tires for my car. I need all four new ones, but I couldn't find any the size I need, so I gave up. I went back this morning, but they did not have them in my tire size at two other places, so I decided it was an omen to stay here, and if I have to leave, I'll leave with someone who has good tires.

I bought water, chips, crackers, fruits and things I can eat with no cooking if it comes to that. It's all things I can use either way, but I feel more prepared. I forgot to get ice, and today there was none to be found, and most convenience stores were closed. However, I found a liquor store open and she still had ice. Now I feel like I have everything I need.

The woman at the liquor store said she stayed open because she had no other place to go and as a liquor store in Houston, it's already breakin proofed with iron bars etc. Lots of people were there buying liquor. I guess they feel they might need a drink if it gets rough around here. I have a large bottle of wine to put me to sleep because in a big storm my adrenalin kicks in. I've been in the middle of a big tornado here that took away two apartment complexes around me and only took my chimney and imploded my skylight, but that was a different house. I was on adrenalin for about 3 days then.

I'm in a brick four-plex on the north side of the building, and I can close off my bedroom and only have one exposed window that has a wrought iron gate across it, so I feel ok about shattering windows and potentials like that. If it gets bad, I'll go inside the bathroom or closet and close the doors and be as protected as anyone can get here. It's a strong building that has withstood several hurricanes through the years. I already had lots of tall 7-day jar candles because I like to burn them, so I feel like I'll hav light if the power fails.

I have friends I can go stay with, but I really just feel like being at home. I have this feeling like it is important to stay here. Besides, it's a parking lot on all the freeways out of town right now, so it would be futile to be trying to get away from here. I'd rather wait until the last minute and deal with the consequences of my choice.

If I should go home to my maker, I'm ready for that too. I'm not afraid. I feel very happy and confident about life, weather and meeting challenges. I love my children, and they know that, and they are grown and headed into their own lives. I'm free to enjoy life and make crazy choices like this if I want to now.

Being a psychic, I feel that Houston is not going to get the brunt of the storm, and I'm holding a vision for it to make a left turn and head down to the parts of Texas and Mexico that really need the rain. I also envision it dropping down to a much lower number hurricane. Everybody can help me count it down, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - gentle breezes and loving rain.

Right now, it's in the high 90s, a beautiful hot sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. One thing I note is that I haven't seen a huge exodus of birds flying away. They feel the air current changes first and begin to leave, and that is not happening yet. So far, so good.

Oh well, that's all for now. I'll write more as it develops.

-- Sandy Penny, sandy@writingmuse.com

2 Comments:

Blogger WritingMuse said...

from M.M. Steed, also Houston...

On Monday, one of the weather guys on Channel 11 ( I think) showed a model that indicated that in all of the history of tracking hurricanes, a storm originating in the Caribbean in September had never made land fall in Texas. There was something about that report that rang true to me.

I, also, have always felt that Houston would be spared. Frank Billinglsey showed a model that correctly predicted the path of Hurricane Charley...and
it deviated significatly from all of the other models, of which there are
about 14. This model indicates that the storm will go in around Lake Charles and move up the middle of Louisiana.

I, too, am staying here. I didn't know why I couldn't make myself get ready to leave. Then late yesterday afternoon, it was very clear that one of my kitties was gravely ill. My vet had closed this morning. I went to another clinic, West Alabama Animal Clinic. (Six years ago, I found a stay kitty and posted a sign in that clinic. A neighbor of the owner saw the sign, called me and told me about the cat's circumstances...thus, he has been with me for a blissful 6 years.) To make a long story short, the vet on duty performed a miracle and Bobby is now going to be fine...this is my "weak tires' story.
----

2:53 PM  
Blogger WritingMuse said...

From Gaye Evans, Norfolk Island, AU

Dearest Dearest One,

I came down to work this morning to send you an email and lo! Have received your journal. I do not have words to tell you what I think of your brave, amazing and light filled spirit. I totally honour and bow down to you.

Last night I spent a long time in prayer for Houston, asking that the Hurricane do whatever job it must, with ease and grace. That the rains be sent to the areas that are in drought and that need refreshment. That the winds whirl the energies into cleansing and that the areas be refreshed AIDO (all in divine order).

I asked that any credits given to me so far in the game of life be passed on to Houston to be used for the best and highest good. I asked that the great celestial beings who heard my words, hear my plea that all happen that is to happen with the best and highest intention for the good of planet earth and its people.

And lastly, I asked that my dearest friend and mentor, be given the strength, the courage, the love, the wisdom, to understand and to deal with whatever comes to her in these dark hours. I asked that my energies be totally with you today and that whenever you need extra strength or encouragement that I be right there beside you. I have dedicated my time and energies to you, for you to use as you wish. I have asked the great celestial ones to know this, and to enhance whatever I may be able to send
you.

I now ask that God's blessing be upon you Sandy, that he hold you tightly in his everlasting arms and give you peace and love.

God Bless You - Gaye Evans

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home